Mount Washington Turnpike Toll House
The Mount Washington Turnpike was chartered in 1866. Construction commenced the same year under the supervision of long-time BC&M bridge-builder and railroad superintendent, John Jarvis Sanborn. The turnpike spanned the six miles from the former Tenth New Hampshire Turnpike (the road from Lancaster, New Hampshire, to Portland, Maine) to the Cog Base Station. It was built to bring in supplies needed for the construction of the Cog and as a way to bring passengers to the Cog. At the commencement of trips to the summit in July 1869, passengers arrived at the base by coach. Coach fares from the local hotels to the Cog base and return ($3.00) included the toll. The foreground contains a portion of the roof of the Fabyan House and two tracks: the closest one the Portland & Ogdensburg Railroad coming up from the White Mountain Notch (Crawford Notch) and Portland, Maine, and the second the branchline to the Cog base. Beside the white toll house a gate across the road may be seen. A toll was charged on the turnpike until 1903 when it was given to New Hampshire.
Weller stereo view, Courtesy Littleton Historical Society