Peeling Original Name of Woodstock, NH
Peeling, on Mt. Cilley, was the original location of the town of Woodstock. It was abandoned by the 1860s when the town center moved to the present location of Woodstock. Peeling had a post office from 1819-1840. There was a spruce oil mill, a schoolhouse with about 40 pupils in 1840, and several homes. A sawmill was operated by Royal Jackman, (father of the Royal Jackman who is credited with the discovery of Lost River). One of the first settlers was Symms Sawyer. He was the town’s first doctor, treating patients throughout the Pemigewasset Valley. Today Peeling is part of the WMNF and only cellar holes remain. The buildings appear on the 1860 Walling map, although the name “Peeling” does not.
 Mary E. Allen, The Record Citizen, Plymouth, NH 7/25/1984