by Rick Russack
This site is somewhat of a mystery. There was once a 100-acre “farm” at the four corners where the Jefferson Notch Road and the Mt. Clinton Road intersect the road to the Base Station of the Cog Railway. (This road to the Base Station was once known as the Mt. Washington Turnpike, complete with a tollhouse.) Exactly what went on here is difficult to ascertain although there are some clues. It was called “Twin Rivers Farm”. A single surviving stereo view shows what appears to be a bobbin mill, perhaps a small kiln suitable for bobbin-sized material, and several well dressed visitors, most likely tourists from Fabyans. A short distance down the Mt. Clinton Road is the remains of a good-sized charcoal kiln, (mentioned above) which may, or may not, have been associated with the “farm”. Portions of the Mt. Clinton road itself were built along an abandoned railroad spur line that ran to Twin Rivers farm from the railroad line that took tourists from Fabyans to the Base Station. This spur line does not appear on any Boston and Maine Railroad map but does show on two hand drawn surveyor’s maps of the area. These maps clearly show the rail spur going to Twin “Rivers Farm. An 1881 Employee’s timetable for the Boston, Concord and Montreal Railroad (predecessor of the Boston and Maine) includes a schedule for daily log trains to Twin Rivers Farm. However, exactly what was there is still a puzzle. Unfortunately, recently a poorly sited snowmobile trail was built through the property. Short of a full-blown archeological excavation, it may not be possible to gain a better understanding of Twin Rivers Farm.
Double clicking this image will allow you to enlarge it.