Map prepared by Bill Gove for his article on the Swift River Railroad. (Link below.) Click on map for larger image.
Passaconaway today is the site only of a Forest Service visitor center, a few seasonal homes and a small cemetery. For a short time, however, it may have had as many as 1,500 residents, making it perhaps the largest of the abandoned logging towns (Charles E. Beals, Jr., Passaconaway In The White Mountains). Two logging railroads would eventually serve the area. Passaconaway, originally known as the Albany Intervale, was a small agricultural community until the Conway Lumber Company built the 26 mile Swift River Railroad in 1906. Prior to the coming of the Swift River Railroad, there had been another short-lived logging operation, the Bartlett Lumber Company. Its railroad, the Bartlett and Albany, existed from 1887-1894, running from the company’s mills in Bartlett to Passaconaway. At its peak, during the Conway Lumber years, the town had two schools, a lumber store, a company store, a post office, several boarding houses, and a number of small homes for employees. The Conway Lumber Company bought the town’s hotel, The Carrigain House, to serve as its headquarters in the area. By 1916, the company had completed its logging operations in the area and the railroad track, and many of the workers, were moved to other areas the company was logging. The post office operated from 1892 to 1916.
Double clicking these images will allow you to enlarge them.