Town records include references to births, deaths, and marriages, much as any town of the period would. In Sept. 1878, the daughter of a Livermore woodsman, Julia Lucy, was married to Eldon Boynton, a carpenter. On June 20, 1877, Daniel Huntley was born-his father was a blacksmith. Other babies were born in the following years. Infants died in Livermore, as they did elsewhere. George Smart, 5 months old, died of a bowel complaint on July 5, 1878 and Albert Smart, 22, died of consumption in the same year. Not all deaths were from natural causes: in 1882, Richard Whitty, a brakeman on the railroad died when he was run over by his train and in 1886 a falling tree killed Michael Guinan, a 30-year-old Irishman. 
A post office opened in Livermore in 1881, and it operated until 1931. The first Postmaster was William Hull. In 1885, the town had a town clerk, selectmen, justices, a treasurer and a tax collector. The Grafton County Lumber Co.(operated by the Saunders family) employed nearly all the residents of the town. There was also a schoolhouse with 28 students. The schoolhouse and furnishings were valued at $150, according to Child’s 1886 “Gazetteer of Grafton County”. The school’s two teachers were each paid $26.00 and the town expended a total of $130.00 for the school. The village continued to prosper, but by the early years of the 20th century, many changes were taking place. The census for 1900 shows that, at 101, the population of the town was essentially unchanged. But the make-up of the town had changed. Only 11 households remained and there were only 13 children in five families. Eight homes now took in boarders; five of these homes had more than four unrelated men living there. One home had 20 boarders. Livermore was no longer the family oriented town it had been 20 years earlier.  The 1895 Rand McNally Atlas indicates there were 39 residents in that year, but that number probably excludes the men working in the woods.
The 1914 census lists some of the structures in the town. In addition to the mill, there was an icehouse, an engine house, a blacksmith shop, store and storehouse, winter boarding house, and a large barn, 11 homes and a schoolhouse. We know there was also the large Saunders family mansion and a powerhouse. This census also tells us that there were 3 cows, 2 hogs and 48 horses. 
James F. Morrow, Jr. loaned an interesting document concerning the school in Livermore to the author. Mr. Morrow’s father worked in Livermore in 1922-3, his family lived in the town, and James, Jr. attended school there. The document lists the books in the Livermore School as of June 4, 1925. The number and variety of books is surprising: there were 408 volumes and 88 different titles. Some were only single copies, most were multiple copies. In addition to reading, writing and arithmetic books, there were copies of “Robinson Crusoe”, “The Song of Hiawatha”, “Tom Brown’s School Days”, and others.
As was often the case, fires destroyed significant parts of the town. In 1876, fire destroyed the first mill and it would burn twice more: in 1909 and 1918. The Saunders mansion was partially destroyed by fire in 1909. While fire damage was repaired, an event occurred in 1927 that would eventually spell the end of Livermore. In November, massive rain and flooding occurred throughout the region. Much of the logging railroad, along with several bridges, was destroyed. The mill closed for good the next year, in 1928, but the town survived for a few more years. In 1929, the first discussions were held about selling the town and woodland to the federal government. (Then, as now, dealing with the government was not a quick process.) In 1933, final negotiations were begun with the Forest Service In Sept. 1934, the Forest Service and the Saunders heirs agreed upon a price of $9.00 an acre. Four or five families remained. Finally, in Dec. 1936, title changed hands. The heirs had reserved to themselves, for use as long as they might live, their mansion and about an acre around it. (Their mansion was finally destroyed by fire in 1965.) In 1944, the government auctioned off some of the equipment, which had remained in the mill and boarding house. Finally, in 1951, the state legislature revoked the town’s charter. Livermore was no more.