by Rick Russack
Wildwood was in the area where Tunnel Brook meets the present day Rt. 112, west of North Woodstock., in Easton. It was home to the Easton Lumber Co, which operated a large sawmill employing about 25 men, several other saw mills, a schoolhouse and a number of houses. The Wild Ammonoosuc River runs through the area. Wildwood had a post office from 1884-1907 and it’s population in 1895 was 75, according to the 1895 Rand McNally “New Atlas of the World”. There was also a boarding house. According to Towne’s history, (Looking Back at Easton, Ruth Towne, 1976) Wildwood had an active social life and a religious revival in 1885. She also notes that that between 1892 and 1895, four of the sawmills in town were sold to the Fall Mountain Paper Company, which, in 1898 was incorporated into the International Paper Company. Remnants of dams remain in the Wild Ammonoosuc. They were used by lumbermen driving logs down the river to join others on the Connecticut River. There are also remnants of the Depression era Civilian Conservation Corps camp. A state historical marker indicates the approximate location of the town. Crawford’s 1890 Map of the White Mountains shows about 7 buildings and identifies one as being a sawmill owned by Noyes and another owned by Drury.