Isaac Pike, founder of the business and town we’re concerned with, arrived in the Haverhill area in 1818 and was in the lumber business. By 1842 Pike was quarrying and producing whetstones in his own mill and shipping them to Burlington, Vt. and Hartford, Ct. Pike’s sons, Alonzo and Edward joined the company and it expanded rapidly. Isaac died in 1860 and Alonzo assumed control of the company. The quarries for the stone were in the area of Lily Pond. The coming of the railroad in 1853 brought changes. A railroad station was built near the mills in the 1860s. Freight cars were picking up at the mill and the 1860 Walling map of Grafton County shows several buildings in vicinity of the Pike Mill including a store and by 1880 it had a post office. There were two schools and a stable for the horses. There were large farms and sawmills. In addition to the whetstone business, the company was also in the lumber business. Alonzo Pike built a mansion for his family. In 1882, Pike built a boarding house, a dormitory for the women workers, and tenements for mill workers. An 1897 newspaper article indicates that the company employed over 100 in Pike and over 250 in total. A 1901 article , states, “There is a little village of more than 500 inhabitants. There is a fine department store, whetstone mill, sawmill, box factory wheelwright and blacksmith shop, grist mill, hotel, livery stable, a good hall and schoolhouse. It is a temperance place. The village has a library, long distance telephone, telegraph and six mails a day.” The development of artificial abrasives by the Norton Company in 1897 forever changed the business and would eventually lead to the 1932 consolidation of the two companies-but that’s another story.