by Rick Russack
A short distance west of Livermore was the Saco Valley Railroad and its town, Carrigain. The SVRR was incorporated in April, 1891with permission to extend about 10 miles up the valley of the Mount Washington River, also known as Dry River. Fred Garman had a sawmill along the tracks of the Maine Central Railroad (successor to the Portland and Ogdensburg) and it was from this point that the SVRR would originate. In 1891, L.D. Hazen, Charles H. Stevens (both of St. Johnsbury, Vt.) along with Benjamin Garfield of Whitefield, entered into a 10 year contract to log on the Cutts Grant. Interestingly, descendants of the original grant holders, Thomas Cutts and Richard Conant still owned the land. Their contract required conservative logging practices, unusual for the time. Fred Garman was part of this new company and the town of Carrigain developed around Garman’s mill. Specific details are mostly lacking for Carrigain. According to Fran Belcher’s “Logging Railroads of the White Mountains” Carrigain had a population of “several hundred”. There was a large railroad station with a full-time agent, a company store, church, boarding house, school, and numerous single-family homes.